Summary of an opinion article focused on factors to consider when returning professional athletes to sporting events after Covid-19 pandemic.
Professional athletes returning to participation in sporting events after prolonged lockdowns due to pandemic.
Risk of virus transmission.
- Factors to consider assessing the risks for sporting events:
- does the country have active local transmission of Covid-19 virus
- is it a single or multiple venue event
- are athletes coming from countries with active local transmission of Covid-19
- how many people will attend the event, both athletes and spectators
- is the sport/s itself considered at high risk of spread of the virus
- Measures to mitigate or decrease the risk:
- increase hygiene/hand washing
- education of athletes and staff
- reduce the number of people at the event
- reduce the number of persons at high risk (vulnerable)
- locate the event in the area with low community transmission of the virus
- reduce travel from and through areas with the transmission of the virus
- testing availability
- contact tracing ability
Take home message
Carmody S, Murray A, Borodina M, Gouttebarge V, Massey A. When can professional sport recommence safely during the COVID-19 pandemic? Risk assessment and factors to consider. 2020 0;0.
WHO. Addendum assessment tools in the context of Covid-19. 30 April 2020. [Excel file]
Resources recommended in the article
WHO. Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) technical guidance: Points of entry and mass gatherings. 15 May 2020.